Monday, June 4, 2012

Between a Mom & a Daughter: Summer Fun

Me & Sarah on our first trip to TX after she was married.
Happy Monday, bloggers!  Sarah had the great idea of writing about our summer experiences together.  How we spent our summers when she was growing up and how we have transitioned now that she is a grown woman, married and living very far away from her Mama! (Can you tell I'm a little bitter about the living far away thing?)  Anyway...Sarah and I kinda laughed last night when she brought up my summer schedules.  If you haven't noticed yet from previous posts, I am so a Type A personality!  But boy has God taught me over the years that it isn't always gonna go as I have planned.

When Sarah was growing up we would have certain days of the week designated for certain activities.  For example, one day a week we would go to the library or the pool.  We even had a craft day!  Was I not the Mom.com or what?  Be sure and check out Sarah's blog post as I'm sure she have some funny things to share.  Things seemed to be so much easier back then.  I realized a couple of years ago that things were easier back then because we had Miss Betty.  Miss Betty was a dear friend, who sometimes drove us nuts, but was always there for us.  I learned a lot of my home skills from Miss Betty.  She was there to do laundry and ironing twice a week, clean house, buy groceries (when Carlton was young) and take care of the kids when needed.  Boy did I have it made or what?  Thank God for Miss Betty during those years.  It helped me be a better mother to all the children.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a scheduler with Carlton and Madelyn.  This summer we will be going to the pool on Fridays after Miss Madelyn finishes gymnastics practice.  They will be doing chores around the house and working on new "independent living skills" as I like to call them.  And of course there will be crafts at some point!  There are special things I want to do with them, but I can't do near as much with them as I was able to do with Sarah and her brother and sister.  They just don't know how lucky there were! (I'm sure Sarah is grinning right now.)

As for the transition now that Sarah is older, we try to see each other once during the summer.  Paul, me and Carlton and Madelyn have gone to TX the past two years during spring break to visit Sarah and Jeff.  Sarah is planning on coming to NE for a few days in August and possibly bringing her sweet friend, Morgan too.  We have to learn to be thankful for the time we do have together, make the most of it, and laugh at those "learning" years as I like to call them.

To all you Moms and daughters reading:  Have a great summer and make some memories!  Even if you do look back on them and laugh.  That's half the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please offer insight on how this post may have encouraged you today. Or "lay down your mask" and share your stuggle.