Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day


Good morning and happy Memorial Day!  Sarah and I wanted to do a special post today in honor and memory of her Mom, Juanita Kampfe (Sissy), and all our family members who have served our country in the Armed Forces.  Sarah is talking about her Mom's death and how she dealt with such a tragic loss in her life.  She will also be discussing her adjustment to a new Mom (me) and how God has worked in her life through the death of her Mom.  I know you will want to read her post, so check it out!!http://twopeepsandapooch.blogspot.com/
I discussed in our very first mother daughter blog how the news of Sissy's death affected me.  God used that situation to not only have me become "instant Mom," as we like to call it, but also to mold me and shape me in what were some pretty difficult circumstances.  The first year of our marriage was much more difficult that I had anticipated.  I remember moving into the house and having to clean out Sissy's night stand beside the bed that she and Paul had once shared together.  I think that was when real life started to hit me.  I began to feel emotions of jealousy, anger, and resentment. You name it and I probably felt it.  I sought counseling and through the help of my counselor and God I worked through the emotions.  My break through came when I asked Paul to drop me off at Sissy's grave.  There I stood at the grave site of a woman whose "ghost" had been haunting me for months.  In the moments that followed I laid it all out.  I yelled, I cried, I just released it all.  That was the beginning of my healing process.  Notice I said the beginning.  I had years more work ahead of me!  Now, almost 13 years later, I know I am a better person by going through all the adjustments and emotions that came with becoming the Mom of three children whose mother had passed away.  I am so grateful to God for blessing me with Sarah, Nathan and Laura who immediately called me "Mom."  Children who would become upset when their friends in Virginia would refer to me as "their step mom."  Children who could have hated me and felt I was trying to take the place of Sissy, but instead welcomed me with open arms and clung to me with all the love they had.  God has poured out His love to me through them.  No, the road has not been easy.  It has been marked with pot holes that felt like bottomless pits; with speed bumps that slowed me down to a crawl; running off the side of the road into many ditches, and feeling like I was completely out of gas!   God's grace somehow kept me going.  It has only been since about three years ago, that I can hear the kid's talk about Sissy and not become jealous.  That I can look at her picture and not feel some twinge of something weird inside me.  God brought me through with so many blessings!

In closing, I would like to say, "Thank you" to the following family members for their service to our country.  May we NEVER forget the freedoms we have because of you.  My grandfather, Carl Carlton, who served in the U.S. Navy. My Dad, who also served in the Navy.  Juanita Kampfe, Sarah's Mom, who served in the Air Force.  (Sorry this picture is side ways.  It is a picture of Sarah and her brother and sister after doing a rubbing of their Mom's grave stone before we moved from Virginia.)  I would like to give a special thank you to my brother, Mike Carlton, who enrolled in the Army when I was just a little girl.  You have been such an example of sacrifice, strength and bravery to me. I remember when you were away serving in Desert Storm.  I wore one of your military coats around all winter with a yellow ribbon pinned to it.  I was so proud to be your sister!  Thank you, Mike!  Also, to my friend Trisha Aldag, whose husband, Rich, serves in the National Guard.  I know her family has sacrificed for our country as Rich has been away serving.  One more thank you to our new neighbors, Michael and Elizabeth Mitchell.  May God bless each of you and your families for your service.


My Dad, Fred Carlton who served in the Navy.



My brother, Mike Carlton, who served in the Army.


My Grandfather, Carl Carlton, who served in the Navy.
Juanita Kampfe, who served in the Air Force.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jennifer. It's inspiring to watch your journey and so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Liz! You have always been one of my favorite family members from Paul's side! (don't tell anybody though - LOL). Thank you for reading and writing a comment. Comments from readers give me inspiration to continue blogging.

      Delete
  2. I am friends with Sarah, love reading y'alls blog back and forth. Thank you so much for your transparency.

    ReplyDelete

Please offer insight on how this post may have encouraged you today. Or "lay down your mask" and share your stuggle.