Monday, May 7, 2012

Between a Mom & Daughter: Mom AND Friend?

Good morning Moms and Daughters!  Sarah and I decided we would just dive right in dealing with some big topics.  This week's topic is about being a Mom and a friend.  Some Moms out there may think you cannot or should not be both.  But hear me out on this.  You see, I was always a Mom to Sarah.  I was also a friend, and she didn't even realize it.  It was the same way with my Mom.  I knew she and my Dad were in control of the home, but it wasn't until I was married that I realized she was my friend and had been all along.  You may completely understand where I'm going with this or you may be boggled by my comments.  Either way, let me explain.

Yes, I set rules and expectations for Sarah.  She had driving rules, a curfew, dating rules, chores to do, grades to keep up, expectations on how her room should be kept - the list could go on and on.  That was the Mom part.  I also did fun stuff with her like shopping, crafts, planned special parties, helped with prom - this list could go on and on too.  That was the friend part.  But wait...there's more.  Sarah knew she could come and talk to me about anything.  And she usually did.  Her and a roommate from college (if you're reading this, you know who you are), will always remember the "sex" talk we had on the floor of my bathroom when they were seniors in high school.  You see, Moms, if we don't talk to them about important topics, someone else will and who knows who that someone will be or what they will tell our daughters.  Wouldn't you rather your daughter hear the truth, especially about sex, from you. This allows you the opportunity to instill in her the importance of sexual purity. This doesn't mean you have to sit down and have some uncomfortable discussion.  It's actually just the opposite!  When she asks you questions, which she will, just honestly answer them.  Don't you want your friends to be honest with you?  Shouldn't we as mothers give that same respect to our daughters?  I will never forget the night, at 21 years old, that I laid on my Mom's bed crying and asking her why I couldn't have sex before I was married.  I KNEW why, but I was struggling and just needed my Mom's reassurance that everything was for a reason.  She didn't freak out that I was dealing with that issue.  She listened and encouraged me.  She was my friend!  To this day I can still talk to her about almost anything as I know Sarah can with me.

I kinda got on the "sex" bandwagon, but there are so many other topics this principle can apply to as well.  Be your daughter's Mom, but have fun with her. Develop a relationship with her.  Talk to her - about anything - even if it makes you uncomfortable.  You'll be glad you did.  Because down the road, probably after she's married, it will hit her that you were her Mom AND her friend all along.

Don't forget to check out Sarah's post from a daughter's perspective!  http://twopeepsandapooch.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please offer insight on how this post may have encouraged you today. Or "lay down your mask" and share your stuggle.